The Institute’s research focuses on:
- Civil Law
- Private International Law and International Civil Procedure
- Comparative Law
- International Business and Corporate Law
- Evolution of a European Contract and Consumer Law
- EU single market processes
- European Foreclosure/Enforcement Law
- Islamic Law and the Laws of Arabic States
- Art and Copyright Law
Dissertations, ‘Habilitationen’ and other publications are published on these subjects. The directors and their assistants conduct studies for the European Commission, the Council of Europe, Federal Ministries and write court and party opinions.
ZIn order to better integrate the practice of law into the Institute’s research endeavors in the field of international dispute settlements, the Heidelberg Center for International Dispute Resolution (IDR Center) was founded.
The Institute also conducts studies for public authorities.