The next meeting
We are pleased to announce that the next Transnational Commercial Law Teachers’ Meeting and Conference will take place on 12th and 13th September 2019 in London, UK and will be organised by Dr Andromachi Georgosouli and Dr Miriam Goldby under the auspices of the Institute of Transnational Commercial Law (ITCL), jointly established in 2017 by the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London and Unidroit.
The topic chosen for 2019 is When is Commercial Custom Law? The Dialogue between Commercial Practice and The Law. The discussion will centre on the interface between written law and unwritten norms that guide behaviour in commercial spheres and the effect on this interface of features of the modern business context, including the use of technology.
Research papers will be presented on the following topics:
- Conceptions (and misconceptions) of the nature of commercial custom: an interdisciplinary approach.
- Commercial custom as a source of law in civil and common law jurisdictions: a comparative analysis (including proof of custom).
- Customary practices in the modern business context.
- Commercial custom and codification: the evolution of standards.
- Commercial custom in out-of-court dispute resolution.
In addition, there will be coordinated discussions on the following two topics:
- Commercial custom in the teaching of Transnational Commercial Law.
- The future of Custom in Transnational Commercial Law.
A draft programme, registration instructions and accommodation options will be published on this website in early March 2019. In the meantime, please refer any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org